Saturday, October 27, 2012

Mountain Metaphors

A couple weeks ago, I signed up to climb Mount Kilimanjaro in January 2013. Since then, I’ve secured my flight and turned my attention toward physical training, so that I can climb to 19,341 feet (5,895 meters) above sea level three months from today.

In a short time, I’ve already realized that mountains can be used for several metaphors, and while the metaphors work for some of what I’m experiencing and hoping to accomplish, the metaphors also get weird and fall apart pretty fast sometimes, too.
 

 
For example, the song above talks about mountains moving and falling. That’s exactly what I don’t want to happen while I’m physically climbing Mount Kilimanjaro in a few months. Especially considering that Mount Kilimanjaro is a dormant volcano, I’d prefer that it stay essentially intact while I climb it.

While it’s nice to know that mountains can be moved, sometimes what I’d really like is help climbing them.

UPDATE: After posting all of the above, I noticed this post about mountains. Indeed, it includes metaphors.

No comments:

Post a Comment