Wednesday, December 19, 2012

How am I training for Kilimanjaro?

When people learn that I plan to climb Mount Kilimanjaro in January 2013, one of the first questions they tend to ask is how I am training for it. A typical week involves some combination of: running, walking uphill on a treadmill, using a stair climber, walking outside, and weight training.

DRH 2012 Race Medals

During 2012, I have run two half marathons and three full marathons. This past weekend, I ran the Jacksonville Marathon. It was a brief weekend in Florida. I was able to stay with good friends (a family of five) I knew when we all lived in North Africa a few years ago. I enjoyed catching up with them.

Also, while I knew that the husband and wife had lived in East Africa decades ago, I hadn’t realized that they had climbed Mount Kilimanjaro. It was fun to hear their tips and perspectives on climbing Africa’s tallest mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment