Saturday, January 5, 2013

Encouragement

In pursuing this climb and fundraiser, I’ve set two lofty goals: to reach the summit of Africa’s highest mountain; and to raise a bunch of money for a group of people who are doing great work in East Africa.

A few days from now, I’ll get an update on how the fundraiser is going. A few weeks from now, I’ll know whether or not my fellow climbers and I were able to reach the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro. While I’m hopeful to realize success with both goals, I’ve found myself bumping up against a third goal – a goal that, when I’m honest, is more important than either of the other two. Simply put, I want all of this to matter.

Several weeks back, I mentioned that this campaign focuses on purpose and people, the major draws for me. A couple things, in particular, make the hours physical training, blogging and publicizing of this all worthwhile. First, every penny that people give toward the fundraiser goes straight toward helping eMi: East Africa. Second, I’ve been able to become much more familiar with what my friend is doing in Uganda and, I hope, to be an encouragement to him.

I’ve also very much come to appreciate the encouragement of others. Through various media – conversations in person, paper letters, electronic and social media – I’ve tried to share about the climb and fundraiser with literally hundreds of people. A comment on my blog, especially one from someone who isn’t climbing with me, can make my day. Of course, I also greatly appreciate the complimentary words that my fellow climber, Tony, posted on his blog.

With the lead-up to the climb coinciding with the holidays, people have been understandably busy with a host of things. When people show more than cursory interest in the climb and fundraiser, it means a lot to me. Earlier in the week, someone where I work mentioned plans to read the entire blog at home. A group of men with whom I meet weekly asked several questions about the climb. A few people have contacted me to let me know they are following my preparations and that they are praying for me.

Keep the comments, shares and “likes” coming – here, and on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment