Sunday, January 6, 2013

Previous Mountains

“When did you become a mountain climber?” a friend asked over lunch today.

I mentioned previously that I’m kind of new to mountain climbing. But I’m not entirely new. In fact, I’ve already climbed Mount Toubkal – twice – which, at 13,671 feet (4,167 meters), ranks as the world’s 36th highest, Africa’s 22nd highest, and North Africa’s highest summit. That altitude is approximately where we’ll be camping on the third evening of our Kilimanjaro climb, three and a half days before we plan to reach the summit.


I’ve also climbed Mount Washburn twice. Our Kilimanjaro route takes us above the peak altitude of Mount Washburn (10,219 feet, or 3,115 meters – both of these figures differ from what’s written on the summit sign) on our second day.


Both of these mountains, like Mount Kilimanjaro, are walk-ups. That is, neither is a technical climb.

1 comment:

  1. Gosh, I look happy in that photo! I was probably more relieved I actually made it. I was just recalling that story today too. THANKS DAVE!! I couldn't have done it without your encouragement! I'll be excited to hear about your next summit! God bless you!

    ReplyDelete